While writing my novel, I’ve come to appreciate what badasses each of my characters is in their own way.
This got me to thinking about what exactly is a badass? How can you tell if someone has achieved the state of badassery? Or if they’re merely posers who wish they were badass?
Please note, these are my personal definitions. There are other definitions out there, but if you want to be a badass in my book, here’s the deal …
First off, let’s talk about who is NOT a badass:
- Anyone who thinks being an asshole to other people is a sign of strength
- People who are cruel to animals for ANY reason
- Anyone who never stops talking about how badass they are
- People who do cruel or questionable things simply to impress another cruel or questionable person
- Anyone who breaks shit just for the hell of it, or who starts fights for no goddamn good reason
Now, how do we define a true badass? A badass is:
- Not an asshole
- Someone who doesn’t go out of their way to look tough. They ARE tough.
- Kind to animals. Period.
- True to themselves. They refuse to live inauthentic lives to try to impress others.
- Someone who never preys on the weak
- Never afraid to show kindness
How about you? Would you describe any of your characters as badasses? How so? Do you personally know any badasses? How does my definition measure up to yours?
I’d love to hear about it in the Comment section.